Pages

Thursday, 14 January 2010

Welcomeses

Hello one and welcome some.

This is my 3rd or 4th attempt at a blog.  My most successful try came in the year that I taught Engrish in Japan.  It was great, but I stopped blogging as soon as I came back to the UK.  The title of the blog - "Big in Japan" - probably forced my hand somewhat.

I am determined to keep it going, but I will need some Uri Geller-esque positivity from all my worshipful subjects out there.  If you're with me, I will totally pwn this thing.  ONWAAAAAARD!

So this launch post is something that I have been thinking about since I set this blog up last night.  I was a bit stuck, but then on my journey back home from my day at the infotron (note the decadent marble cladding) I realised that I had the chance of making a mini-pilgrimage to the setting of one of the finest sitcoms ever... Black Books.  For anyone interested in where to find misanthrope Bernard Black's shop façade, make your way to Leigh Street in Bloomsbury, London.

Anyway, so after being served in Jessops on High Holborn by a delightful chap, I decided to walk home and made my way up Procter Street.  On the way, I noticed a poster for a talk on architecture at the Cochrane Theatre due to be given by Nigel Coates so picked up a couple of tickets.  It's free and should be good.  On I strode, umbrella in hand, and reached Great Ormond Street.  It was at this point that I realised I could visit "Black Books".  It was on the way home, as it happens.  On the way I passed the Renoir Cinema and saw the beautiful sight of their cinema sign.  I took a picture:



I particularly like the wonky N on the end of the word 'Ribbon'.

Round the corner is Leigh Street.  If you go, you will see the shop 70-odd yards down the road on your left, opposite the Norfolk Arms public house.  It is very inconspicuous, and you'd be forgiven for missing it:



I got very excited when I saw it.  The interior is almost exactly how it is in the show!

Black Books was written by all round comedy legends Dylan Moran, Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews (among others). You should check it out.

Out of interest, here is my route:




That's all for now.  I do have a twitter feed (@El_Nacnud), and lots of other web presences.  Far too many in actual fact.  But check them out if you can.  They're on here somewhere.


Speak soon yeah?  Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment