Pages

Thursday, 4 February 2010

Shoe shine

What's your ambition?  You may have grand and unrealistic ones like making a difference in a war-zone or completing an inter-continental triathlon.  All very nice and that, but are you ever actually going to get off your sofa and do it?  Are you really going to break out of your cycle of work, telleh, bed, repeat?

The answer is.... well I don't know what the answer is.  Who do you think I am, Mystic Meg?

All I am saying is, sometimes a less ambitious ambition is perfectly acceptable.  Mine, par example, is to have my shoes shined whilst reading the New York Times at Grand Central Station in NYC.  That's it.  The shining would have to be done by large eared Italian-American who would sell (or "hawk" as I believe our American cousins say) me some tickets to the ball game and buff my brogues so I could see my face in them.  I would have a bit of banter with him, say that we should take the USofA back into our Empire where it belongs and then part ways, full of the joys of spring.  Granted, I do have to go to America for this, but it's not asking for much.  What's thousands of miles in the grand scheme of.... oh.

2 comments: