Pages

Saturday, 20 March 2010

A Poem - Beans Haiku

I have just read an article about Haiku Herman Van Rompuy, President of the European Union.  It has made me see the Belgian Statesman in a whole new light.  It turns out he is a fan of Haiku, the Japanese forms of poetry which stays to a strict structure of three lines of 5, 7 and 5 syllables (or moras/on).

Here is an example of Herman's work (translated from Dutch, so in English not exactly a haiku):

Birds in concert,
One sings above all others,
I don't know its name.

I have written a couple of nonsensical poems recently (see previous blog entries), and here is my latest - a haiku:

Beans

Beans toast and mushrooms,
Add a dash of Worcester sauce,
Nyum nyum nyum tasty.



Who knows, I may write a serious poem one of these days.  Be prepared...

2 comments:

  1. I like it, Dunc. Beans deserve the recognition.

    I was encouraged to write my own after reading the news. My inspiration: the Pope's own words, taken massively out of context and therefore all the more meaningful.

    "I violated,

    God, sinful and criminal

    a misplaced concern."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanking you. Interesting that an unborn child is sticking it to the Holy Father.

    ReplyDelete