Pages

Friday, 2 April 2010

2 Spotify Playlists... innit!



I love Spotify.  It is such a superb application and I hope it continues for epochs to come on its march towards world domination.  I for one will welcome our Swedish music peddling overlords when we are toiling in their salt mines.

For those not in the know or just plain thick, Spotify allows you to stream music for free (if you want to put up with awful adverts for Iggy Pop's insurance firm and Shockwaves) or for a monthly fee (which allows advert free streaming, the ability to download playlists, the chance to use the Spotify app on your smart phone, and better quality audio).

As mentioned above, you can easily make playlists, which can be shared with your friends and enemies.  This is what I've had a go at this evening.  The first one is 20 songs which, off the top of my head, I adore.  The second (again, 20 tracks) is based on my Last.fm record of the choons I've listened to the most.  Last.fm is a similar program to Spotify.  With Spotify, you have to listen through its player (like iTunes) and with Last.fm you can download their player or listen through their website.  It is more focussed on artist "radio" playlists that allow you to pick an artist and let the website take you on a musical odyssey through similar acts.  I use it more to "scrobble" - record - what I have been listening to on my Spotify player, iTunes and iPhone.  It is also a fantastic place to look for live music near whichever salt mine you happen to be toiling in.  So yeah, try Spotify and Last.fm out.  They're splendid.


I have limited myself to one song per act in both playlists, and have deliberately not duplicated any tracks - the favourite songs playlist was created before the Last.fm one.

(N.B. Some stuff is not on Spotify, hence why I have no Arcade Fire, Beatles or Bob Dylan.)

Playlist 1 is very much a spur of the moment thing so if I came back to it tomorrow I would probably choose some different songs, and Playlist 2 has some inclusions which surprised me.  Have a listen and let me know what you think!


1. Van Morrison - Madame George.
2. David Bowie - Heroes.
3. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
4. Neil Young - The Needle and the Damage Done.
5. Leonard Cohen - So Long Marianne.
6. Phoenix - 1901.
7. Pixies - Where is My Mind?
8. Bon Iver - Skinny Love.
9. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart.
10. Arctic Monkeys - Cornerstone.
11. The Libertines - Tell The King.
12. LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends.
13. Sigur Ros - Staralfur (Live).
14. Stone Roses - Waterfall.
15. Kings of Leon - Arizona.
16. The Velvet Underground - Rock and Roll.
17. Radiohead - Karma Police.
18. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps.
19. Nick Drake - Northern Sky.
20. Roots Manuva - Witness.


1. Kings of Leon - The Bucket.
2. Bon Iver - Creature Fear.
3. Leonard Cohen - Suzanne.
4. Van Morrison - Sweet Thing.
5. Pixies - Here Comes Your Man.
6. MGMT - Time To Pretend
7. David Bowie - Queen Bitch.
8. Arctic Monkeys - Teddy Picker.
9. Flaming Lips - Do You Realize??
10. Outkast - So Fresh, So Clean.
11. Sebastien Tellier - La Ritournelle.
12. Simon and Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy In New York.
13. The Cribs - Men's Needs.
14. The Libertines - What Became of the Likely Lads.
15. LCD Soundsystem - Daft Punk is Playing at My House.
16. Soulwax - E Talking.
17. Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla.
18. Scott Walker - 30th Century Man.
19. Beck - Lost Cause.
20. Radiohead - The Bends.

No comments:

Post a Comment